According to a 2013 study published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 13% of workers gained weight after injuring their backs and going on leave for 180 days. It makes sense that dealing with chronic pain leads to decreased activity but did you know that some pain medications can also lead to weight gain as a side effect? An experienced and knowledgeable chiropractor like Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help you lose weight by alleviating pain naturally!
Ways a Visit to the Chiropractor Can Help You Lose Weight
- Make moving more comfortable: If it hurts to move, then it isn’t very likely that you’ll want to incorporate more movement into your daily routine much less exercise at a higher intensity. By providing relief from pain, a chiropractor can help you increase your activity level and burn extra calories throughout your daily routine.
- Open more exercise possibilities: When a part of your body is hurting, you will naturally protect it and compensate by not exercising as long or intensely as you would if you were pain-free. Getting adjusted to alleviate pain will allow you to engage in longer and higher impact workouts.
- Reduce chances of overeating: Since your spine is the central communication highway between your stomach and brain, removing any subluxations will improve your body’s ability to regulate eating. If your spine is in optimal alignment, your chances of receiving accurate hunger and fullness cues are greatly improved.
In addition to adjustments, Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life can help you lose weight with nutritional guidance and holistic support. We are also proud to partner with Farmstrong Coaching for our Cafe of Life Fitness groups- read more about how this personalized program of daily accountability and motivation can help you lose weight with your Longmont chiropractor!
As parents, the health and well-being of our children are our top priority. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers chiropractic care for children that is not only safe but also profoundly effective in keeping our kids healthy.
FAQs of Children’s Chiropractic Care
What can be effectively treated by a pediatric chiropractor?
When should children start receiving adjustments?
The birthing process is always strenuous, and sometimes traumatic, for the infant (and mother) so the sooner a chiropractor can assess and address any misalignments in both mom and baby, the better! However, children’s health is greatly impacted by receiving chiropractic care at any age, so never think that it’s too late to bring them in.
How often should children visit their family chiropractor?
Setting up a regular schedule of visits can prevent small issues from turning into major problems. We would ideally like to see your child in their first month, three more times during their first year and then every six months to a year after that. Please also bring your child in if they seem off-balance (limping, tilting their head, etc) or if they sustain any significant injuries.
How is chiropractic care different for children?
The pressure will vary depending on their age- Dr. Jess adjusts babies with the same touch she uses to test the ripeness of a peach! The approach will also depend on their developmental stage and if pain is a primary complaint or not. Otherwise, the basic techniques are the same as those used for adults.
Why is chiropractic care beneficial for children?
Children’s bodies are constantly growing and to develop optimally, their skeletal and nervous systems need to be in alignment. Especially during growth spurts, a chiropractor’s aid in establishing proper joint motion and balance is invaluable for children’s optimal development.
Dr. Jessica Thompson at the Cafe of Life in Longmont would be happy to answer any other questions you may have about children’s chiropractic care. Give us a call- we look forward to speaking with you!
Did you start the new year with a juice cleanse to reboot your diet after the holidays? Another very effective way to revitalize your health is with a detox massage at the Cafe of Life in Longmont.
Our bodies are exposed to many sources of pollutants everyday in our environment, our food, our cleaning products and more. The accumulation of these harmful chemicals, particles and microorganisms are flushed out through our lymphatic system- but it is often overloaded! This detoxifying system starts with plasma from capillaries collecting toxins throughout the body. The lymph vessels absorb this plasma and bring it to the lymph nodes to be purified. Since detox massage assists this process, it is also called lymph drainage massage.
Benefits of Detox Massage
- Removes toxins from tissues through lymph nodes
- Reduces swelling all over the body, especially swollen joints and puffy eyes
- Improves chronic conditions like acne, arthritis and sinusitis
- Promotes healing of sprains, torn ligaments and scar tissue
- Strengthens immune system through stimulating white blood cell reproduction
- Reduces stress through deep relaxation
Detox massage is performed slowly- at the same rate as the peripheral lymph vessels contract (between six to 10 contractions a minute). The massage therapist also uses a light touch because many lymph capillaries are located right below the skin and can be manipulated easily. The massage starts with the nodes themselves in the neck and armpits, then will work outwards to send lymph fluid back towards the nodes.
Detox massage is a wonderful way to reset your health by removing toxins, reducing stress and boosting your immune system- make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont!
The Colorado ski season is in full swing, and even if your cold-weather sport of choice is something else- chances are you are using muscles in a way they haven’t been conditioned for since last winter. Whether sledding, ice skating or just shoveling snow; these outdoor activities can lead to potential health problems. If you’ve been injured during a winter activity, the chiropractic care and massage therapy offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can relieve your pain and hasten your recovery.
3 Common Winter Activity Injuries Helped with Chiropractic Care
- Whiplash– Whether due to being involved in a car accident or falling hard on the ski slopes, whiplash can occur whenever the neck is thrust abruptly forward and back. Adjustments and massage can help decrease swelling and realign cervical vertebrae.
- Knee Injury– Skiing is one of the sports that puts the most stress on knee joints. If the surrounding tendons and muscles are not in top condition, injury is common. The short-term goal of treatment is to reduce pain and inflammation, while the long-term goal is to build up strength.
- Rotator Cuff Tear– Shoveling snow can strain, or even tear, the muscles and tendons in your back and shoulders if you lift or throw a heavy load the wrong way. If recovering from a tear, chiropractic care can help restore your range of motion faster.
While prevention isn’t always possible, warming up properly before engaging in a cold-weather activity does decrease your risk of getting hurt. Slow squats, lunges and hugging your knees into your chest are three particularly effective stretches. If you are suffering from an injury received during a winter activity, don’t delay seeking treatment at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to restore your optimal health. Dr. Jess and her professional staff will get you back out into our winter wonderland in no time!
Now that the holiday season is over, you may experience a post-festivities funk. Prioritizing your health and well-being are New Year’s resolutions we hope you make for yourself in 2017. If you are determined to avoid or beat the winter blues, the chiropractic care and massage therapy offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help optimize your mood and health!
Top 3 Tips to Beat the Winter Blues
- Get Your Vitamin D- The best way to ensure you’re getting enough of this mood and immunity-enhancing vitamin is by spending 20-30 minutes in the sun everyday. But when we’re bundled up in the winter and not going outside much, then you can take a supplement or use a sun lamp instead.
- Exercise- The endorphins released when exercising give your mood an instant boost, and the long-term benefits of increased energy, decreased anxiety and better sleep are even more reasons to get moving. Aim for regular sessions that incorporate high-intensity exercise for short intervals.
- Eat Less Sugar- The spikes and crashes in your blood sugar level caused by consuming lots of sweets take a toll on your energy and mood. Eating more protein and plants will help you feel more stable and energized.
If you’re finding it harder and harder to raise your spirits or pull yourself out of a slump this winter, then you may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. The most common symptoms of SAD are depression (peaking in December-February), increased irritability, decreased energy, oversleeping and craving carbohydrates. Be sure to see a doctor if you’ve lost interest in your regular activities, feel hopeless and your sleep patterns or appetite have changed.
If the short, cold days of winter having you feeling down, regular chiropractic adjustments and massages can help lift your outlook, raise your energy level and boost your immunity. Make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to chase away those winter blues!
If you are experiencing symptoms of a slow metabolism, you might want to get your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism, or insufficient thyroid hormone, is a widespread condition- especially among women; 10% of whom are estimated to have a thyroid deficiency. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont provides effective chiropractic care for thyroid imbalances, including nutritional and lifestyle guidance, to help restore your optimal health.
Signs of an Underactive Thyroid Helped with Chiropractic Care
- Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
- Coarse, dry hair
- Dry, rough pale skin
- Hair loss
- Cold intolerance (you can’t tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)
- Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
- Memory loss
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Decreased libido
List of symptoms from endocrineweb.com
The vast majority of hypothyroid cases are actually an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. The common treatment for hypothyroidism is just a prescription of thyroid hormone replacement with yearly checks of the patient’s TSH, or thyroid-stimulating hormone, to test if their dosage needs tweaking. This narrow approach does not take into account the other related issues associated with many autoimmune diseases, such as low vitamin D, blood sugar instability and sensitivity to gluten.
While chiropractors agree that patients with hypothyroidism need to take prescription thyroid, they also promote a broader approach to the management of hypothyroidism- especially if a patient’s symptoms persist even though their lab tests are normal. Since inflammation is at the root of autoimmune diseases, receiving regular chiropractic care ensures that your nervous system is operating properly. Hypothyroidism cannot be cured but with dietary and lifestyle changes, your quality of life can improve- and prevent another autoimmune disease from developing! If you’ve been diagnosed with a thyroid imbalance, see Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont for a holistic approach to managing your condition and restoring your optimal health!
Pain has a job to do in our bodies, which is to alert us that something is wrong so we can protect ourselves from further damage. While it is critical to our self-preservation, pain can also continue long past its usefulness and become a chronic condition. Since we receive messages of pain through our nervous system, chiropractic care can profoundly reduce incessant signals. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers multiple treatments to stop chronic pain by chiropractor Dr. Jess Thompson, massage therapists Hannah Denckla & Pamela Cuming and acupuncturist Christa Caputa.
People’s experience of pain is not fully understood but the current theory claims there are three fundamental parts. When we experience pain we feel a strong emotional response, a sensory result when the brain receives electro-chemical signals, and a combined sensory-emotional effect when dealing with chronic pain. Chronic pain can be caused from unhealed injuries, long-term diseases and nervous system damage.
Chiropractic Care for Reducing Chronic Pain
- Spinal adjustments: The spine is the central pathway along which pain is communicated to the brain so by manipulating the spine, chiropractors can intercede these signals. Spinal adjustments help to eliminate the root cause of chronic pain as well by restoring optimal function to muscles, joints and the vascular system.
- Massage therapy: Trigger point therapy is one especially successful massage technique used to mediate pain. The therapist will target a tight band of muscle, called a trigger point, to initially replicate the patient’s pain and then reduce it.
- Acupuncture: This is another very effective alternative treatment for pain that is low risk and has no side effects like strong prescription opiates.
If you or a loved one is suffering from chronic pain, don’t suffer through another miserable day! Make an appointment today for chronic pain relief from chiropractor, Dr. Jess- she and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont are confident that their effective treatments will manage, reduce and hopefully even eliminate your chronic pain!
Looks like our extended summer is over and the expected cooler weather has finally arrived here in Colorado! For some of us, cooler temperatures lead to cold hands and feet, and for others cold or tingling extremities might be something they live with year-round. Proper circulation is not only critical for our comfort but also for our health, and the chiropractic care at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can improve circulation.
Effects of Poor Circulation
- Cold or tingly hands and feet
- Decreased mental alertness and/or concentration
- Weakened blood flow means that the vital oxygen and nutrients carried through our blood are not being delivered as they should be.
- Nausea, dizziness, fainting and migraines can result from reduced blood flow to the brain. Prolonged reduction can also lead to hearing, visual and spatial problems, and may even increase your chances of dementia or a stroke.
Subluxations in the neck can significantly impair blood flow to the brain, as shown in a study published by the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. Patients suffering from neck pain were scanned using SPECT, or single-photon emission computed tomography, and a third showed between a 30-45% reduction of circulation to the parietal and frontal areas of their brains!
Chiropractic care can be the solution you’ve been looking for to improve your circulation. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont will not only treat but also diagnose the underlying cause of your poor circulation. Sometimes old injuries, which are pinching a nerve, or stress, which causes our blood vessels to constrict, are the culprits behind poor blood flow. A chiropractic adjustment to put the spine back into alignment, along with massage or ultrasound therapy will improve circulation immediately.
You don’t need to feel like Frosty this winter- come into the Cafe of Life in Longmont for effective chiropractic care that will improve your circulation and overall health!
Flu season is here- hopefully you’ve been lucky enough to avoid catching something so far but chances are you’ve been around people who were sick. If you’re looking for something besides the flu shot to prevent coming down with a virus this winter, consider regular chiropractic adjustments. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont provides excellent chiropractic care for the whole family to strengthen the immune system and help prevent the flu.
The flu differs from the common cold mainly in that it causes a fever while a cold does not. Other symptoms of the flu are runny nose, congestion, sore throat, cough, muscle and joint aches that usually last around four days. Chiropractic care will increase your natural resistance to viruses by ensuring your body is free of subluxations so that it can function optimally! Maintaining a strong immune system is the best way to prevent catching the flu this season.
Besides getting regular chiropractic adjustments, maintain the following healthy habits to boost your immune system:
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, and if you’re starting to feel under the weather, try to get even more.
- Exercise regularly to boost your immune system’s natural killer cells, which help fight viruses. Even when you come down with a virus, it’s better to take a walk than stay on the couch- it will help break up mucus and release endorphins.
- Eat healthy by loading up on veggies and reducing sugar, and take a vitamin D supplement when not getting enough sun exposure.
We can’t avoid being around sick coworkers and our kids can’t avoid sick classmates, so it’s important that everyone’s immune systems are strong to prevent passing a virus around at home. Finding an experienced family chiropractor like Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont is one of the best ways to prevent coming down with the flu!
Lasers are used in a wide variety of areas from reading bar codes to recording videos, from drilling to welding, and from surgery to non-invasive chiropractic treatments. The lasers used by chiropractors are low output and have low energy levels but still produce dramatic effects in the body. Laser biostimulation is the ability of low-level lasers to alter cell function in a constructive manner. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont has been successfully using laser therapy as part of her chiropractic treatment to relieve the pain and inflammation caused by a wide variety of conditions in her patients.
4 Top Reasons for Laser Therapy
- Pain Relief– By decreasing the pressure caused by inflammation and by stimulating drainage of pain-causing chemicals through our lymph nodes, pain is significantly reduced.
- Anti-Inflammatory– The laser decreases blood pressure by dialating blood vessels in the affected area, and decreases swelling through boosting lymphatic drainage.
- Wound Healing– Laser therapy speeds up the recovery process by promoting the development of new collagen-producing cells and new blood vessels.
- Immune Support– Our immune system is strengthened with laser treatment because production of antibodies and lymphocytes is stimulated.
Laser therapy can be used as an effective treatment for a wide variety of conditions including (but not limited to): arthritis, back pain, bursitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis, temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ), and whiplash. A laser therapy session is painless and very short, typically only lasting around 4 minutes! So if you or a loved one are experiencing recurring nerve pain or inflammation, make an appointment today for laser therapy at the Cafe of Life in Longmont!