Dr. Jess and the team at the Cafe of Life in Longmont use a whole body approach to assist their patients in achieving optimal health and wellness. The integrative medical services they offer include chiropractic care, acupuncture and massage therapy and although there are limitless reasons to visit their Longmont chiropractor, we’ve listed 18 below. Hope to see you in 2018 as part of your physical and emotional wellness routine!
Top 18 Reasons to Visit Your Longmont Chiropractor in 2018
- Manage neck or back pain
- Lower muscle tension
- Decrease headache frequency
- Improve sleep
- Enhance sport performance
- Reduce anxiety
- Relieve stress
- Decrease arthritis pain
- Help fibromyalgia pain
- Enhance immunity
- Relieve postoperative pain
- Improve balance
- Gain more range of motion
- Increase cardiovascular health
- Reduce discomfort of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Ease symptoms of depression
- Temper effects of dementia
- Reduce chemotherapy-related nausea
List adapted from https://www.amtamassage.org
Chiropractic care, massage therapy and acupuncture can all help manage pain if you suffer from chronic conditions such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia or migraines as well as acute neck, back or joint pain caused by accidents or injuries. If your primary interest is raising your physical performance level then a visit to the chiropractor can aid in increasing your range of motion, balance or cardiovascular health (by lowering blood pressure). And promoting relaxation, reducing stress and improving sleep quality are all ways that receiving regular adjustments, massages and/or acupuncture treatments will ensure your overall, optimal health!
Whether you are interested in how your Longmont chiropractor can help with a medical condition or stress-related concern, Dr. Jess has the knowledge and experience to answer all your questions- make your health a top priority in 2018 and schedule an appointment at the Cafe of Life today!
Fall has officially arrived: the temperatures are cooler, pumpkin spice lattes have returned and the leaves have started to change colors! And although beautiful, dealing with falling leaves involves a lot of twisting, bending and lifting that could cause back or neck strain. Should you sustain an injury this fall, your Longmont chiropractor at the Cafe of Life will customize a treatment plan to restore your health quickly!
Tips to Prevent Fall Injury from Your Longmont Chiropractor
- Use an alternating split stance when raking. Stand with one foot in front of the other for a few minutes and then change foot position.
- Bend at the knees when picking up anything large or heavy. To avoid straining your back, make leaf piles smaller and be sure not to bend at your waist.
- When mowing or raking, try to maintain good posture by standing straight with your shoulders slightly back. Also push with your whole body instead of just your arms and back when mowing.
- For balance and to prevent muscle fatigue, switch sides as often as possible when using equipment for extended periods of time.
- Wear supportive shoes with good arch support to minimize back strain and purchase ergonomic tools when possible.
The American Chiropractic Association cautions the “repetitive motion that your body undergoes when using such [yard] equipment can create a host of mechanical problems within the body.” Yanking the cord of a mower over and over, twisting again and again to rake up leaves and hunching down to pull weeds can all cause back or neck pain or even muscle tears or a sprain. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont is an experienced chiropractor who offers multiple treatment options, including adjustments, stretching exercises, and laser therapy to restore and maintain your optimal health!
It is not hard to diagnose sciatica because the symptoms are very specific and pronounced. Sciatica is characterized by pain in one buttock and/or leg that is often described as a searing sharp or radiating pain with restricted mobility in the affected leg. Sciatica is actually a symptom of an underlying condition that the professional staff at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help treat and thereby relieve sciatica pain with alternative therapies.
Alternative Treatments for Relieving Sciatica Pain
- Massage: There are many benefits of massage therapy that can also help with sciatica such as muscle relaxation, increased circulation and endorphin release. Neuromuscular massage therapy, or trigger point myotherapy, applies consistent pressure to a muscle spasm area in order to release stored lactic acid and restart proper blood flow.
- Acupuncture: Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and recognized by the National Institutes of Health as an effective method in decreasing back pain, including sciatica pain. Acupuncture uses extremely-thin needles inserted near the problem area to open blocked energy pathways and restore well-being.
- Chiropractic: Since the sciatic nerve runs along the spine, any misalignment or bulging disc can put pressure on it and cause shooting pain. Adjustments to put the spine back into proper alignment should stop any irritation to the nerve.
Did you know the sciatic nerve is the largest in the body? And it is comprised of nerve roots stemming from each level of the lower spinal column? Since this is such a massive and widespread nerve, it makes sense that it has the potential to cause debilitating pain- don’t let that happen to you! If you are experiencing any sciatica symptoms, such as intense leg pain, numbness or weakness, come to the expert chiropractor, massage therapist and acupuncturist at the Cafe of Life in Longmont for relief of sciatica pain.
Summer means travel but getting to your destination can often be a pain in the neck or backside! According to Dr. Bautch of the American Chiropractic Association Council on Occupational Health, “Even if you travel in the most comfortable car or opt to fly first class, certain pressures and forces from awkward positions can result in restricted blood flow.” If you follow the preventative tips below and still experience an ache or strain during travel, make a post-trip appointment with Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life for a restorative adjustment with the chiropractor!
Chiropractor Tips to Avoid Travel Aches this Summer
- Check bags that are heavier than 5-10% of your weight, as overhead lifting of anything more than this amount significantly increases your risk for injury.
- When putting luggage in the overhead bins, stand directly in front of the compartment and do not twist or turn your head during the lift.
- Use pillows or rolled blankets to maintain the natural curve of your spine when sitting. Put a support behind your waist and another between your neck and the headrest.
- Vary your position by putting your feet on your bag under the seat and by moving your knees up and down for awhile. Also take time to massage your legs and calves to avoid cramps.
- Position your seat to be as close to the wheel as is comfortable with your knees slightly higher than your hips.
- Improve hand and arm circulation by squeezing and releasing the steering wheel occasionally. Also vary where you hold the wheel to decrease muscle fatigue and tension.
- Prevent swelling by exercising your legs by holding your toes spread open for 10 seconds, then take turns tightening your calves, thighs and buttocks for 5 seconds each.
- Decrease fatigue and neck tension by rolling your shoulders forward and back. Also make sure to stop for frequent rest breaks and take brisk walks to improve circulation.
Make sure you are in tip-top shape before any upcoming travel by having the Cafe of Life’s chiropractor, Dr. Jess, correct any misalignments so your summer vacation will at least start off pain-free travel!
Now that Spring has officially arrived, you’ve probably been enjoying the warmer weather and increased your outdoor activities. Make sure you are in optimal health to fully enjoy the season by visiting your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, at the Cafe of Life!
5 Reasons to Visit Your Longmont Chiropractor this Spring
- To prepare for an athletic event– Training for races, be it a 5K, marathon or triathlon, often begins or intensifies in the spring. And for school-age athletes, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, track and tennis all start up this time of year. Regular chiropractic care helps prevent injuries and enhance performance for all of these sports!
- To assess your range of motion– To ensure that your body is not compensating and putting undue strain on particular muscles, joints or nerves, come in for a thorough evaluation of your range of movement and stability. This screening will show if there is a certain weak or unbalanced area that could become problematic.
- To recover faster from an injury– If you’ve been nursing an injury over the winter, our chiropractic care and massage services can help restore your strength, mobility and coordination.
- To boost your mood– Subluxations of the upper spine have been linked to depression but correcting these cervical misalignments has also been shown to elevate mood! Don’t let lingering Seasonal Affective Disorder prevent you from enjoying these spring days!
- To get ready for travel– When traveling we are often put in uncomfortable positions, such as on a plane or in a new bed, and knowing how to stretch properly to prevent or relieve this discomfort is knowledge that your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, would be happy to share with you!
Preventing an injury with regular chiropractic care is always worth your time, especially when you weigh how much time it takes to recover from an injury. Dr. Jess and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont have the expertise to help you stay healthy and active this spring- make an appointment today!
Pain has a job to do in our bodies, which is to alert us that something is wrong so we can protect ourselves from further damage. While it is critical to our self-preservation, pain can also continue long past its usefulness and become a chronic condition. Since we receive messages of pain through our nervous system, chiropractic care can profoundly reduce incessant signals. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers multiple treatments to stop chronic pain by chiropractor Dr. Jess Thompson, massage therapists Hannah Denckla & Pamela Cuming and acupuncturist Christa Caputa.
People’s experience of pain is not fully understood but the current theory claims there are three fundamental parts. When we experience pain we feel a strong emotional response, a sensory result when the brain receives electro-chemical signals, and a combined sensory-emotional effect when dealing with chronic pain. Chronic pain can be caused from unhealed injuries, long-term diseases and nervous system damage.
Chiropractic Care for Reducing Chronic Pain
- Spinal adjustments: The spine is the central pathway along which pain is communicated to the brain so by manipulating the spine, chiropractors can intercede these signals. Spinal adjustments help to eliminate the root cause of chronic pain as well by restoring optimal function to muscles, joints and the vascular system.
- Massage therapy: Trigger point therapy is one especially successful massage technique used to mediate pain. The therapist will target a tight band of muscle, called a trigger point, to initially replicate the patient’s pain and then reduce it.
- Acupuncture: This is another very effective alternative treatment for pain that is low risk and has no side effects like strong prescription opiates.
If you or a loved one is suffering from chronic pain, don’t suffer through another miserable day! Make an appointment today for chronic pain relief from chiropractor, Dr. Jess- she and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont are confident that their effective treatments will manage, reduce and hopefully even eliminate your chronic pain!
People who experience heartburn on a regular basis usually seek relief by taking medication to block the production of stomach acid but this approach doesn’t treat the cause and is only a temporary fix. Extended use of antacids can also lead to leaky gut syndrome because food is not being digested properly by the lower concentration of acids in the stomach.
Can Chiropractors Help with Heartburn and Acid Reflux?
The chiropractic care offered at Cafe of Life in Longmont can not only relieve the chest pain and burning sensation of acid reflux but also help heal the stomach to prevent future heartburn.
Heartburn sufferers often have a disorder of the lower esophageal sphincter, called gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD, which allows digestive juices to flow back up the esophagus. If you have not experienced relief with medication or diet changes, then a hiatal hernia is often the cause of your acid reflux. Through gentle tissue manipulation an experienced chiropractor can pull the stomach back below the diaphragm where it belongs, allowing the esophageal sphincter to remain closed.
Spinal adjustments to reconnect the nerve supply to the stomach and spine can also help heal damage done to the esophagus and stomach. Studies have even shown that patients who received chiropractic care for their stomach ulcers healed faster than those who didn’t.
Additional Ways to Relieve Heartburn, Acid Reflux, GERD
- Consider eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, and eat slowly.
- Avoid fried, spicy and tomato-based foods, and caffeinated drinks.
- Wait at least 3 hours to lie down after a meal, and don’t exercise immediately.
- Take a probiotic to increase the healthy bacteria in your stomach.
The Cafe of Life in Longmont specializes in Chiropractic Zone Healing to remove interference from the vertebrae that are subluxated and obstructing the flow of information from the brain to the stomach. Dr. Jess will perform an evaluation to decide the best course of action for reducing pressure on your back’s nerve channels and improving your digestive health. Seek relief today for your acid reflux with chiropractic care- especially before starting an expensive prescription medication or considering surgery!
According to the Mayo Clinic, sciatica is defined as “… pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg.” According to WebMD, “As many as 4 out of every 10 people will get sciatica, or irritation of the sciatic nerve, at some point in their life.” This is a lot of people suffering! So, what can we do for sciatica treatment?
All we know is pain. Sciatica can be very painful! Not every case of sciatica manifests in severe pain. Sometimes the pain (usually centered around one buttock and down the leg) can be mild with accompanying numbness, tingling or weakness. Any way you look at it, most people just want it gone! Chiropractic adjustments for sciatica have been very successful in reducing sciatic pain.
Sciatica itself is not a condition, just a manifestation of an underlying condition (like a herniated disk). The sciatic nerve does not like to be irritated or compressed. It is the largest single nerve in the body which branches out significantly throughout. It needs to remain functional. If you feel you are suffering from sciatica, contact us for a complete and accurate diagnosis. We will do a thorough exam to make sure we are diagnosing, and treating you, correctly.
Sciatica Treatment with Chiropractic Care
Relief from sciatica is just around the corner—at Café of Life Chiropractic in Longmont. Dr Jess knows sciatica well. She deals with clients suffering with it on nearly a daily basis. The treatments for sciatica vary. Our goal at Café of Life is to provide our clients with the best case scenario for non-surgical approaches to health. We are confident in our methods which address the whole person.
Chiropractic adjustments can relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve thereby relieving the associated pain. But along with spinal adjustments, our experienced Longmont chiropractor will likely recommend alternating hot and cold pack treatments and physical therapy exercises to do at home, and possibly ultra sound therapy.
If you are struggling with lower back pain, pain on one side that radiates down into your leg, call Café of Life Chiropractic today and get sciatica relief today.
With the multitude of critical messages traveling along an expectant mother’s spine to her growing baby, there may not be a more beneficial time to receive chiropractic care. Dr. Jessica Thompson at the Cafe of Life in Longmont is experienced in providing prenatal care throughout every stage of pregnancy. From making spinal adjustments early on to allow adequate room for growth to relieving lower back and pelvic pain as the belly grows and even helping to position the baby as the delivery date nears, regular chiropractic visits aid in creating a healthy and comfortable pregnancy.
A woman’s body undergoes immense changes during the 40 weeks of a pregnancy, and it is common for the spine to become misaligned. As the growing baby increases pressure on the mother’s spine, her center of gravity shifts and partial dislocations, or subluxations, often result. A chiropractor specializing in prenatal care, like Dr. Thompson, can make adjustments to help improve an expectant mother’s posture and balance thereby reducing the stress on her uterus and supporting ligaments.
Specialized Prenatal Chiropractic Techniques
- Gentle spinal adjustments relieve any pressure being put on nerves from misaligned bones
- Massage and soft tissue work reduce muscle aches and stress on the spine
- Therapeutic exercises and stretches keep musculature strong to maintain correct posture
- Nutritional counseling to keep energy levels optimal
For more tips on how to prevent backache between chiropractic visits, click here for an excellent article from the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.
Expectant mothers often overcompensate for their protruding abdomen, causing the pelvis to be out of line which can limit space for the developing baby and put the baby in a distorted position. Chiropractors help prevent intrauterine constraint and assist in optimal fetal positioning, which reduces the chance of having a breeched baby or needing a cesarean delivery . A mispositioned pelvis can also increase pressure on the vena cava, the main route that blood travels back to the heart from the legs, resulting in not only swollen ankles but also an increased risk of preeclampsia in the last trimester.
Chiropractic care not only alleviates the uncomfortable symptoms that arise from the biomechanical changes during pregnancy but it also can shorten labor times and reduce pain during delivery! Don’t wait until you are worried about a serious prenatal condition or experiencing a high level of pain, but make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life to increase your chance of experiencing a safe and easier birth.
The clinical term for it is “cognitive impairment” or “clouding of consciousness”. It’s used by conventional medical practitioners to denote “an abnormality in the regulation of the overall level of consciousness that is mild…”. We just know it as Brain Fog and those who suffer from it don’t look at it as mild at all! Longmont’s leading chiropractor, Dr Thompson at Café of Life Chiropractic, can help treat your brain fog so that you can function at your very best.
Those who suffer from brain fog describe it as poor concentration, forgetfulness, disconnectedness, mental fatigue or confusion, slow thinking, spacey, “not firing on all cylinders”, brain dead, and more. It interferes with our day (or with our life!) when there is a cloud over our mind and we simply cannot think clearly.
There is no specific test to determine a brain fog diagnosis as it’s based on each individual’s subjective experiences and is often a symptom associated with many conditions. Brain fog is so common it can often be discounted or overlooked altogether yet it brings patients in to both chiropractic offices as well as conventional medical offices every day. It might be “common”, but it is not normal. Your brain can and should function clearly!
Get Treatment for Brain Fog with Chiropractic Care in Longmont:
A good chiropractor knows that a patient complaining of brain fog will need to have a full health assessment taken and a multifaceted approach to healing applied. Health and lifestyle changes are likely going to accompany the chiropractic adjustments.
The brain, brain stem, and spinal cord must be aligned and in good condition. Your spinal cord, nerves and peripheral nervous system is how your body communicates with your brain. When the vertebra moves and gets out of alignment it causes stretching and distorting of the spinal cord. All those nerves do not function well, if at all, with that kind of disruption which leads to brain fog. This diminished spinal function shows the importance of chiropractic adjustments.
Spinal adjustments, upper cervical spinal adjustments in particular, work very well at treating cases of brain fog. In fact, our chiropractic patients regularly come in for adjustments because the onset of brain fog now gives them a “heads up” that the spine is out of alignment before any other symptom appears.
If you experience brain fog of any severity, don’t ignore it or assume it’s just something you have to live with. Let our expert chiropractor work to remove the fog from your brain. Dr Thompson is a Longmont family chiropractor you can trust.