Dizziness can be a side effect of dehydration, which we are all prone to during these hot summer days, but vertigo is a different sensation and often longer lasting. If you are frequently experiencing the world spinning around you, the excellent chiropractic care at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help treat your vertigo.
There are several possible causes of vertigo; unfortunately it is more common to occur as we age and for those under 50, head trauma, such as whiplash, is usually to blame for vertigo. Other reasons for vertigo are:
- BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, is caused by tiny calcium particles accumulating in the inner ear.
- Vestibular neuritis, or labyrinthitis, occurs when an inner ear infection inflames the tissue and aggravates the nerves.
- Meniere’s disease is a disorder resulting from fluid buildup in the inner ear and often also causes ringing or a loss of hearing.
- Less common causes are migraine headaches, some medications with potential side effects of ear damage, or brain impairments such as a tumor or stroke.
Feeling like the world is spinning out of control and fearing that you may not be able to keep your balance are unpleasant enough sensations but those suffering from vertigo may also experience:
- Involuntary jerky eye movements
- Ringing in your ears
- Abnormal sweating
If you experience a severely unbalanced feeling when shifting your head, whether a longer episode or several shorter incidents, don’t wait to seek chiropractic treatment to relieve your suffering! Dr. Jess is trained to relieve pressure on the nerves of your inner ear by moving her vertigo patients through a series of special positions. There is also a technique, called Epley or Semont Manoeuvre, specifically designed to move the calcium crystals out of the inner ear canal and cure BPPV.
Make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to stop suffering from vertigo and get your balance back in just a couple of sessions with Dr. Jess!