Fall has officially arrived: the temperatures are cooler, pumpkin spice lattes have returned and the leaves have started to change colors! And although beautiful, dealing with falling leaves involves a lot of twisting, bending and lifting that could cause back or neck strain. Should you sustain an injury this fall, your Longmont chiropractor at the Cafe of Life will customize a treatment plan to restore your health quickly!
Tips to Prevent Fall Injury from Your Longmont Chiropractor
- Use an alternating split stance when raking. Stand with one foot in front of the other for a few minutes and then change foot position.
- Bend at the knees when picking up anything large or heavy. To avoid straining your back, make leaf piles smaller and be sure not to bend at your waist.
- When mowing or raking, try to maintain good posture by standing straight with your shoulders slightly back. Also push with your whole body instead of just your arms and back when mowing.
- For balance and to prevent muscle fatigue, switch sides as often as possible when using equipment for extended periods of time.
- Wear supportive shoes with good arch support to minimize back strain and purchase ergonomic tools when possible.
The American Chiropractic Association cautions the “repetitive motion that your body undergoes when using such [yard] equipment can create a host of mechanical problems within the body.” Yanking the cord of a mower over and over, twisting again and again to rake up leaves and hunching down to pull weeds can all cause back or neck pain or even muscle tears or a sprain. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont is an experienced chiropractor who offers multiple treatment options, including adjustments, stretching exercises, and laser therapy to restore and maintain your optimal health!