Summer means travel but getting to your destination can often be a pain in the neck or backside! According to Dr. Bautch of the American Chiropractic Association Council on Occupational Health, “Even if you travel in the most comfortable car or opt to fly first class, certain pressures and forces from awkward positions can result in restricted blood flow.” If you follow the preventative tips below and still experience an ache or strain during travel, make a post-trip appointment with Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life for a restorative adjustment with the chiropractor!
Chiropractor Tips to Avoid Travel Aches this Summer
- Check bags that are heavier than 5-10% of your weight, as overhead lifting of anything more than this amount significantly increases your risk for injury.
- When putting luggage in the overhead bins, stand directly in front of the compartment and do not twist or turn your head during the lift.
- Use pillows or rolled blankets to maintain the natural curve of your spine when sitting. Put a support behind your waist and another between your neck and the headrest.
- Vary your position by putting your feet on your bag under the seat and by moving your knees up and down for awhile. Also take time to massage your legs and calves to avoid cramps.
- Position your seat to be as close to the wheel as is comfortable with your knees slightly higher than your hips.
- Improve hand and arm circulation by squeezing and releasing the steering wheel occasionally. Also vary where you hold the wheel to decrease muscle fatigue and tension.
- Prevent swelling by exercising your legs by holding your toes spread open for 10 seconds, then take turns tightening your calves, thighs and buttocks for 5 seconds each.
- Decrease fatigue and neck tension by rolling your shoulders forward and back. Also make sure to stop for frequent rest breaks and take brisk walks to improve circulation.
Make sure you are in tip-top shape before any upcoming travel by having the Cafe of Life’s chiropractor, Dr. Jess, correct any misalignments so your summer vacation will at least start off pain-free travel!
Did you know that ¼ of all our bones are located in our feet?!! They also have 33 joints and over 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments- that complex anatomy combined with carrying all of our weight make them susceptible to injury. If you are experiencing problems with your feet, chiropractic adjustments, ultrasound therapy and acupuncture at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can all help relieve foot pain.
According to WebMD, “Footwear plays a large role in the development of foot and toe problems such as bunions, calluses, corns, hammer claw and mallet toes.”
Shoe Tips to Alleviate Foot Pain
- Everyone’s feet swell slightly towards the end of the day, so this is the ideal time to try on shoes. If you use inserts, be sure to bring them along to test as well.
- Pay more attention to fit rather than size when shopping for shoes- be sure to stand and walk around to get a more realistic sense of how they’ll work in your daily life.
- Low heels put less pressure on the ball of the foot and toe joints but if you must wear high-heels, choose a shoe that is 2” high or less.
- A wide enough toe box is also important- you should be able to wiggle your toes and have a ½ inch of extra space to the tip.
- The sole should be flexible so that your toes can bend naturally, yet the heel counter needs to be more rigid so your toes don’t need to grip to prevent your foot from coming out.
- Finally, avoid materials that are not well-ventilated and make your feet sweat.
Unless you have limited sensation in your feet, due to diabetes or another condition, going barefoot as much as possible is also recommended. Adjustments, along with other non-invasive treatments, provided by the highly-skilled staff at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can relieve foot pain and prevent relapse by addressing the underlying condition. Don’t let foot pain make you sit this summer out- call us today for an appointment!
Most people recognize that eating well and exercising are essential components to good health, but many don’t realize that sleep plays just as important a role! Did you know that sleep-deprived people eat an average of 300 more calories each day? And the U.S. Department of Transportation reports that 1,550 deaths and 40,000 injuries are due to drowsiness of drivers! The chiropractic care you receive at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help resolve sleep problems to restore your optimal health.
Possible Side Effects of Poor Sleep Helped with Chiropractic Care
- Diminished immune system
- Takes longer to heal
- Aggravation of chronic diseases
- Higher risk of developing cancer
- Hypertension & high blood pressure
- Higher blood sugar levels
- Aging process speeds up
- Trouble with memory
- Increased clumsiness
- Irritability & anxiety
- Weight gain
- Greater chance of a car accident
Dr. Jess can help address your sleep problems from physical, mental and chemical approaches. Specific adjustments to your upper neck will ensure that the nerve supply to your limbic system is not impeded. An optimally functioning limbic system is vital for managing stress, which is a common mental reason that impairs sleep. Dr. Jess will also discuss the best sleep environment and proper pillow positioning to ensure that you are supported physically for restorative sleep. Finally, she will suggest simple lifestyle changes in diet and exercise if necessary to eliminate any chemical issues that might be interfering with a good night’s sleep.
If you are having trouble sleeping, the multiple solutions offered with chiropractic care at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help- come in today to sleep better tonight!
Both massage and chiropractic care offer drug-free, hands-on treatment for many issues from abrupt injuries to chronic pain so people may be confused about which to choose. Depending on your symptoms, the professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont may suggest massage, chiropractic care or, most often, a combination of both therapies for the most effective treatment.
The Case for Massage
If you are dealing with muscular or ligament problems, then massage therapy will be most beneficial. Some examples of issues that improve with massage are pulled muscles, spasms and areas of persistent tension. Massage therapists manipulate the top layers of muscle consisting of soft tissue, helping to relieve pain and speed up healing. Other proven benefits of receiving massages are a reduction in anxiety, strengthening of the immune system and increase of blood flow to stimulate recovery from injuries.
Some of the types of massage offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont include Swedish, deep-tissue, trigger point and cranial sacral therapy.
The Case for Chiropractic Care
Unlike massage therapists, chiropractors are licensed to manipulate the nervous and musculoskeletal systems by adjusting a patient’s spine and joints although they may also utilize massage techniques. A spinal adjustment is the most common approach for treating back or neck pain, as the hard tissue of the skeletal system responds best to this method. Other problems that improve with chiropractic care are tendinitis, headaches, ear infections and insomnia.
The lead chiropractor, Dr. Jess, at the Cafe of Life will conduct a thorough assessment of the patient’s overall health and may order blood work or x-rays to confirm her diagnosis, and then may also prescribe medication or herbal remedies in addition to performing rehabilitative treatment.
Best to Get a Massage and Chiropractic Care Together
People may wonder if they should either go to a masseuse or chiropractor but most often, getting these two therapies in conjunction is best! Tense muscles will pull joints out of alignment so receiving a massage will aid in prolonging the beneficial effects of an adjustment. And the reverse is also true, realigning the spine and other joints will help soft tissue to heal and stay relaxed.
If you would like to learn more about how a balance between massage and chiropractic care can restore your optimal health quickly, come in to the Cafe of Life in Longmont!
While we all enjoy the warmer weather and return of green, spring also brings an increase in pollen from blooming trees, weeds and grasses that many of us don’t look forward to. According to WebMD, “about 35 million Americans have hay fever”- also known as seasonal allergies or allergic rhinitis. Along with important preventative steps, chiropractic care at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help relieve the discomfort of seasonal allergies.
Symptoms of Seasonal Allergies That Can Be Relieved with Chiropractic Care
- Stuffed or runny nose
- Tearing eyes
- Dark undereye circles
- Extended or intense sneezing
- Itchy throat and roof of mouth
- Coughing from postnasal drip
- Ear discomfort
- If you develop a fever or pain in your face or teeth, you may have a sinus infection.
You may wonder why some people suffer from hay fever while others are not affected? People who develop seasonal allergies often have a genetic predisposition, and those with asthma or eczema are also more prone to hay fever. When pollen grains enter the body of an allergic person, their immune system views the particles as harmful and overreacts by producing loads of histamine and other chemicals that cause inflammation of the sinuses, nasal passages and eyelids. The body is trying to protect itself by expelling, trapping or preventing the allergen from progressing further but this defense unfortunately leads to several uncomfortable side effects.
Prevention is the first step in treating seasonal allergies. Try to limit the time you spend outside when pollen counts are high, and remove allergen particles from your nose with a saline spray. The next most effective preventative approach is to keep your immune system in tip-top shape by eating well, exercising and receiving regular chiropractic care. Correcting spinal misalignments helps keep the nervous system functioning optimally to decrease the chance of it interpreting environmental information abnormally and starting an allergic reaction. Adjustments and other forms of chiropractic care can help relieve the discomfort of seasonal allergies, so make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont and enjoy spring this year!
Now that Spring has officially arrived, you’ve probably been enjoying the warmer weather and increased your outdoor activities. Make sure you are in optimal health to fully enjoy the season by visiting your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, at the Cafe of Life!
5 Reasons to Visit Your Longmont Chiropractor this Spring
- To prepare for an athletic event– Training for races, be it a 5K, marathon or triathlon, often begins or intensifies in the spring. And for school-age athletes, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, track and tennis all start up this time of year. Regular chiropractic care helps prevent injuries and enhance performance for all of these sports!
- To assess your range of motion– To ensure that your body is not compensating and putting undue strain on particular muscles, joints or nerves, come in for a thorough evaluation of your range of movement and stability. This screening will show if there is a certain weak or unbalanced area that could become problematic.
- To recover faster from an injury– If you’ve been nursing an injury over the winter, our chiropractic care and massage services can help restore your strength, mobility and coordination.
- To boost your mood– Subluxations of the upper spine have been linked to depression but correcting these cervical misalignments has also been shown to elevate mood! Don’t let lingering Seasonal Affective Disorder prevent you from enjoying these spring days!
- To get ready for travel– When traveling we are often put in uncomfortable positions, such as on a plane or in a new bed, and knowing how to stretch properly to prevent or relieve this discomfort is knowledge that your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, would be happy to share with you!
Preventing an injury with regular chiropractic care is always worth your time, especially when you weigh how much time it takes to recover from an injury. Dr. Jess and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont have the expertise to help you stay healthy and active this spring- make an appointment today!
Whether your headaches are intermittent or chronic, a dull throbbing or intense pain, they are always unwelcome and sometimes debilitating. The comprehensive chiropractic care offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can relieve headache pain and help prevent future occurrences. The American Chiropractic Association provides the following information for about chiropractic care for headache sufferers:
What causes headaches?
95% of headaches are tension, migraine or cluster types while 5% point to another underlying health problem. The majority of the 95% subset are caused by muscle tension in the neck due to spending hours in a fixed position, such as sitting at a desk. Other triggers include certain types of food, environmental factors (like noise or light) and other physiological conditions such as insomnia and changes in blood sugar.
How can you prevent a headache?
Stretch your whole body, but especially your head and neck, every 30 minutes or so when sitting for an extended period of time. Avoid clenching your teeth, which stresses the joints between your jaw and skull, and can lead to TMJ headaches. Drink at least 64 ounces of water everyday, as dehydration is a common reason for headaches. Headache pain can sometimes be alleviated with low-impact exercise, like walking.
How can chiropractic care help with headaches?
To provide instant relief, a chiropractor will perform gentle manipulations and adjustments to decrease joint irritation and realign the spine. A chiropractor will show you specific exercises, relaxation techniques and ergonomic advice you can use at home or work to help relieve irritation and tension in your neck and upper back. They also can offer nutritional advice to determine if a change in diet would decrease recurring headaches.
A 2011 study in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found that migraines improved after patients received a spinal manipulation and other forms of chiropractic care. If you’re tired of popping pills for recurring headaches, make an appointment with Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to experience how chiropractic care can naturally and effectively relieve headache pain.
According to a 2013 study published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 13% of workers gained weight after injuring their backs and going on leave for 180 days. It makes sense that dealing with chronic pain leads to decreased activity but did you know that some pain medications can also lead to weight gain as a side effect? An experienced and knowledgeable chiropractor like Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help you lose weight by alleviating pain naturally!
Ways a Visit to the Chiropractor Can Help You Lose Weight
- Make moving more comfortable: If it hurts to move, then it isn’t very likely that you’ll want to incorporate more movement into your daily routine much less exercise at a higher intensity. By providing relief from pain, a chiropractor can help you increase your activity level and burn extra calories throughout your daily routine.
- Open more exercise possibilities: When a part of your body is hurting, you will naturally protect it and compensate by not exercising as long or intensely as you would if you were pain-free. Getting adjusted to alleviate pain will allow you to engage in longer and higher impact workouts.
- Reduce chances of overeating: Since your spine is the central communication highway between your stomach and brain, removing any subluxations will improve your body’s ability to regulate eating. If your spine is in optimal alignment, your chances of receiving accurate hunger and fullness cues are greatly improved.
In addition to adjustments, Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life can help you lose weight with nutritional guidance and holistic support. We are also proud to partner with Farmstrong Coaching for our Cafe of Life Fitness groups- read more about how this personalized program of daily accountability and motivation can help you lose weight with your Longmont chiropractor!
As parents, the health and well-being of our children are our top priority. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers chiropractic care for children that is not only safe but also profoundly effective in keeping our kids healthy.
FAQs of Children’s Chiropractic Care
What can be effectively treated by a pediatric chiropractor?
When should children start receiving adjustments?
The birthing process is always strenuous, and sometimes traumatic, for the infant (and mother) so the sooner a chiropractor can assess and address any misalignments in both mom and baby, the better! However, children’s health is greatly impacted by receiving chiropractic care at any age, so never think that it’s too late to bring them in.
How often should children visit their family chiropractor?
Setting up a regular schedule of visits can prevent small issues from turning into major problems. We would ideally like to see your child in their first month, three more times during their first year and then every six months to a year after that. Please also bring your child in if they seem off-balance (limping, tilting their head, etc) or if they sustain any significant injuries.
How is chiropractic care different for children?
The pressure will vary depending on their age- Dr. Jess adjusts babies with the same touch she uses to test the ripeness of a peach! The approach will also depend on their developmental stage and if pain is a primary complaint or not. Otherwise, the basic techniques are the same as those used for adults.
Why is chiropractic care beneficial for children?
Children’s bodies are constantly growing and to develop optimally, their skeletal and nervous systems need to be in alignment. Especially during growth spurts, a chiropractor’s aid in establishing proper joint motion and balance is invaluable for children’s optimal development.
Dr. Jessica Thompson at the Cafe of Life in Longmont would be happy to answer any other questions you may have about children’s chiropractic care. Give us a call- we look forward to speaking with you!
Did you start the new year with a juice cleanse to reboot your diet after the holidays? Another very effective way to revitalize your health is with a detox massage at the Cafe of Life in Longmont.
Our bodies are exposed to many sources of pollutants everyday in our environment, our food, our cleaning products and more. The accumulation of these harmful chemicals, particles and microorganisms are flushed out through our lymphatic system- but it is often overloaded! This detoxifying system starts with plasma from capillaries collecting toxins throughout the body. The lymph vessels absorb this plasma and bring it to the lymph nodes to be purified. Since detox massage assists this process, it is also called lymph drainage massage.
Benefits of Detox Massage
- Removes toxins from tissues through lymph nodes
- Reduces swelling all over the body, especially swollen joints and puffy eyes
- Improves chronic conditions like acne, arthritis and sinusitis
- Promotes healing of sprains, torn ligaments and scar tissue
- Strengthens immune system through stimulating white blood cell reproduction
- Reduces stress through deep relaxation
Detox massage is performed slowly- at the same rate as the peripheral lymph vessels contract (between six to 10 contractions a minute). The massage therapist also uses a light touch because many lymph capillaries are located right below the skin and can be manipulated easily. The massage starts with the nodes themselves in the neck and armpits, then will work outwards to send lymph fluid back towards the nodes.
Detox massage is a wonderful way to reset your health by removing toxins, reducing stress and boosting your immune system- make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont!