While we all enjoy the warmer weather and return of green, spring also brings an increase in pollen from blooming trees, weeds and grasses that many of us don’t look forward to. According to WebMD, “about 35 million Americans have hay fever”- also known as seasonal allergies or allergic rhinitis. Along with important preventative steps, chiropractic care at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help relieve the discomfort of seasonal allergies.
Symptoms of Seasonal Allergies That Can Be Relieved with Chiropractic Care
- Stuffed or runny nose
- Tearing eyes
- Dark undereye circles
- Extended or intense sneezing
- Itchy throat and roof of mouth
- Coughing from postnasal drip
- Ear discomfort
- If you develop a fever or pain in your face or teeth, you may have a sinus infection.
You may wonder why some people suffer from hay fever while others are not affected? People who develop seasonal allergies often have a genetic predisposition, and those with asthma or eczema are also more prone to hay fever. When pollen grains enter the body of an allergic person, their immune system views the particles as harmful and overreacts by producing loads of histamine and other chemicals that cause inflammation of the sinuses, nasal passages and eyelids. The body is trying to protect itself by expelling, trapping or preventing the allergen from progressing further but this defense unfortunately leads to several uncomfortable side effects.
Prevention is the first step in treating seasonal allergies. Try to limit the time you spend outside when pollen counts are high, and remove allergen particles from your nose with a saline spray. The next most effective preventative approach is to keep your immune system in tip-top shape by eating well, exercising and receiving regular chiropractic care. Correcting spinal misalignments helps keep the nervous system functioning optimally to decrease the chance of it interpreting environmental information abnormally and starting an allergic reaction. Adjustments and other forms of chiropractic care can help relieve the discomfort of seasonal allergies, so make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont and enjoy spring this year!
Now that Spring has officially arrived, you’ve probably been enjoying the warmer weather and increased your outdoor activities. Make sure you are in optimal health to fully enjoy the season by visiting your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, at the Cafe of Life!
5 Reasons to Visit Your Longmont Chiropractor this Spring
- To prepare for an athletic event– Training for races, be it a 5K, marathon or triathlon, often begins or intensifies in the spring. And for school-age athletes, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, track and tennis all start up this time of year. Regular chiropractic care helps prevent injuries and enhance performance for all of these sports!
- To assess your range of motion– To ensure that your body is not compensating and putting undue strain on particular muscles, joints or nerves, come in for a thorough evaluation of your range of movement and stability. This screening will show if there is a certain weak or unbalanced area that could become problematic.
- To recover faster from an injury– If you’ve been nursing an injury over the winter, our chiropractic care and massage services can help restore your strength, mobility and coordination.
- To boost your mood– Subluxations of the upper spine have been linked to depression but correcting these cervical misalignments has also been shown to elevate mood! Don’t let lingering Seasonal Affective Disorder prevent you from enjoying these spring days!
- To get ready for travel– When traveling we are often put in uncomfortable positions, such as on a plane or in a new bed, and knowing how to stretch properly to prevent or relieve this discomfort is knowledge that your Longmont chiropractor, Dr. Jess, would be happy to share with you!
Preventing an injury with regular chiropractic care is always worth your time, especially when you weigh how much time it takes to recover from an injury. Dr. Jess and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont have the expertise to help you stay healthy and active this spring- make an appointment today!
Whether your headaches are intermittent or chronic, a dull throbbing or intense pain, they are always unwelcome and sometimes debilitating. The comprehensive chiropractic care offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can relieve headache pain and help prevent future occurrences. The American Chiropractic Association provides the following information for about chiropractic care for headache sufferers:
What causes headaches?
95% of headaches are tension, migraine or cluster types while 5% point to another underlying health problem. The majority of the 95% subset are caused by muscle tension in the neck due to spending hours in a fixed position, such as sitting at a desk. Other triggers include certain types of food, environmental factors (like noise or light) and other physiological conditions such as insomnia and changes in blood sugar.
How can you prevent a headache?
Stretch your whole body, but especially your head and neck, every 30 minutes or so when sitting for an extended period of time. Avoid clenching your teeth, which stresses the joints between your jaw and skull, and can lead to TMJ headaches. Drink at least 64 ounces of water everyday, as dehydration is a common reason for headaches. Headache pain can sometimes be alleviated with low-impact exercise, like walking.
How can chiropractic care help with headaches?
To provide instant relief, a chiropractor will perform gentle manipulations and adjustments to decrease joint irritation and realign the spine. A chiropractor will show you specific exercises, relaxation techniques and ergonomic advice you can use at home or work to help relieve irritation and tension in your neck and upper back. They also can offer nutritional advice to determine if a change in diet would decrease recurring headaches.
A 2011 study in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found that migraines improved after patients received a spinal manipulation and other forms of chiropractic care. If you’re tired of popping pills for recurring headaches, make an appointment with Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to experience how chiropractic care can naturally and effectively relieve headache pain.
According to a 2013 study published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 13% of workers gained weight after injuring their backs and going on leave for 180 days. It makes sense that dealing with chronic pain leads to decreased activity but did you know that some pain medications can also lead to weight gain as a side effect? An experienced and knowledgeable chiropractor like Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help you lose weight by alleviating pain naturally!
Ways a Visit to the Chiropractor Can Help You Lose Weight
- Make moving more comfortable: If it hurts to move, then it isn’t very likely that you’ll want to incorporate more movement into your daily routine much less exercise at a higher intensity. By providing relief from pain, a chiropractor can help you increase your activity level and burn extra calories throughout your daily routine.
- Open more exercise possibilities: When a part of your body is hurting, you will naturally protect it and compensate by not exercising as long or intensely as you would if you were pain-free. Getting adjusted to alleviate pain will allow you to engage in longer and higher impact workouts.
- Reduce chances of overeating: Since your spine is the central communication highway between your stomach and brain, removing any subluxations will improve your body’s ability to regulate eating. If your spine is in optimal alignment, your chances of receiving accurate hunger and fullness cues are greatly improved.
In addition to adjustments, Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life can help you lose weight with nutritional guidance and holistic support. We are also proud to partner with Farmstrong Coaching for our Cafe of Life Fitness groups- read more about how this personalized program of daily accountability and motivation can help you lose weight with your Longmont chiropractor!
As parents, the health and well-being of our children are our top priority. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers chiropractic care for children that is not only safe but also profoundly effective in keeping our kids healthy.
FAQs of Children’s Chiropractic Care
What can be effectively treated by a pediatric chiropractor?
When should children start receiving adjustments?
The birthing process is always strenuous, and sometimes traumatic, for the infant (and mother) so the sooner a chiropractor can assess and address any misalignments in both mom and baby, the better! However, children’s health is greatly impacted by receiving chiropractic care at any age, so never think that it’s too late to bring them in.
How often should children visit their family chiropractor?
Setting up a regular schedule of visits can prevent small issues from turning into major problems. We would ideally like to see your child in their first month, three more times during their first year and then every six months to a year after that. Please also bring your child in if they seem off-balance (limping, tilting their head, etc) or if they sustain any significant injuries.
How is chiropractic care different for children?
The pressure will vary depending on their age- Dr. Jess adjusts babies with the same touch she uses to test the ripeness of a peach! The approach will also depend on their developmental stage and if pain is a primary complaint or not. Otherwise, the basic techniques are the same as those used for adults.
Why is chiropractic care beneficial for children?
Children’s bodies are constantly growing and to develop optimally, their skeletal and nervous systems need to be in alignment. Especially during growth spurts, a chiropractor’s aid in establishing proper joint motion and balance is invaluable for children’s optimal development.
Dr. Jessica Thompson at the Cafe of Life in Longmont would be happy to answer any other questions you may have about children’s chiropractic care. Give us a call- we look forward to speaking with you!
Did you start the new year with a juice cleanse to reboot your diet after the holidays? Another very effective way to revitalize your health is with a detox massage at the Cafe of Life in Longmont.
Our bodies are exposed to many sources of pollutants everyday in our environment, our food, our cleaning products and more. The accumulation of these harmful chemicals, particles and microorganisms are flushed out through our lymphatic system- but it is often overloaded! This detoxifying system starts with plasma from capillaries collecting toxins throughout the body. The lymph vessels absorb this plasma and bring it to the lymph nodes to be purified. Since detox massage assists this process, it is also called lymph drainage massage.
Benefits of Detox Massage
- Removes toxins from tissues through lymph nodes
- Reduces swelling all over the body, especially swollen joints and puffy eyes
- Improves chronic conditions like acne, arthritis and sinusitis
- Promotes healing of sprains, torn ligaments and scar tissue
- Strengthens immune system through stimulating white blood cell reproduction
- Reduces stress through deep relaxation
Detox massage is performed slowly- at the same rate as the peripheral lymph vessels contract (between six to 10 contractions a minute). The massage therapist also uses a light touch because many lymph capillaries are located right below the skin and can be manipulated easily. The massage starts with the nodes themselves in the neck and armpits, then will work outwards to send lymph fluid back towards the nodes.
Detox massage is a wonderful way to reset your health by removing toxins, reducing stress and boosting your immune system- make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont!
The Colorado ski season is in full swing, and even if your cold-weather sport of choice is something else- chances are you are using muscles in a way they haven’t been conditioned for since last winter. Whether sledding, ice skating or just shoveling snow; these outdoor activities can lead to potential health problems. If you’ve been injured during a winter activity, the chiropractic care and massage therapy offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can relieve your pain and hasten your recovery.
3 Common Winter Activity Injuries Helped with Chiropractic Care
- Whiplash– Whether due to being involved in a car accident or falling hard on the ski slopes, whiplash can occur whenever the neck is thrust abruptly forward and back. Adjustments and massage can help decrease swelling and realign cervical vertebrae.
- Knee Injury– Skiing is one of the sports that puts the most stress on knee joints. If the surrounding tendons and muscles are not in top condition, injury is common. The short-term goal of treatment is to reduce pain and inflammation, while the long-term goal is to build up strength.
- Rotator Cuff Tear– Shoveling snow can strain, or even tear, the muscles and tendons in your back and shoulders if you lift or throw a heavy load the wrong way. If recovering from a tear, chiropractic care can help restore your range of motion faster.
While prevention isn’t always possible, warming up properly before engaging in a cold-weather activity does decrease your risk of getting hurt. Slow squats, lunges and hugging your knees into your chest are three particularly effective stretches. If you are suffering from an injury received during a winter activity, don’t delay seeking treatment at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to restore your optimal health. Dr. Jess and her professional staff will get you back out into our winter wonderland in no time!
Now that the holiday season is over, you may experience a post-festivities funk. Prioritizing your health and well-being are New Year’s resolutions we hope you make for yourself in 2017. If you are determined to avoid or beat the winter blues, the chiropractic care and massage therapy offered at the Cafe of Life in Longmont can help optimize your mood and health!
Top 3 Tips to Beat the Winter Blues
- Get Your Vitamin D- The best way to ensure you’re getting enough of this mood and immunity-enhancing vitamin is by spending 20-30 minutes in the sun everyday. But when we’re bundled up in the winter and not going outside much, then you can take a supplement or use a sun lamp instead.
- Exercise- The endorphins released when exercising give your mood an instant boost, and the long-term benefits of increased energy, decreased anxiety and better sleep are even more reasons to get moving. Aim for regular sessions that incorporate high-intensity exercise for short intervals.
- Eat Less Sugar- The spikes and crashes in your blood sugar level caused by consuming lots of sweets take a toll on your energy and mood. Eating more protein and plants will help you feel more stable and energized.
If you’re finding it harder and harder to raise your spirits or pull yourself out of a slump this winter, then you may be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. The most common symptoms of SAD are depression (peaking in December-February), increased irritability, decreased energy, oversleeping and craving carbohydrates. Be sure to see a doctor if you’ve lost interest in your regular activities, feel hopeless and your sleep patterns or appetite have changed.
If the short, cold days of winter having you feeling down, regular chiropractic adjustments and massages can help lift your outlook, raise your energy level and boost your immunity. Make an appointment today at the Cafe of Life in Longmont to chase away those winter blues!
If you are experiencing symptoms of a slow metabolism, you might want to get your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism, or insufficient thyroid hormone, is a widespread condition- especially among women; 10% of whom are estimated to have a thyroid deficiency. Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont provides effective chiropractic care for thyroid imbalances, including nutritional and lifestyle guidance, to help restore your optimal health.
Signs of an Underactive Thyroid Helped with Chiropractic Care
- Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
- Coarse, dry hair
- Dry, rough pale skin
- Hair loss
- Cold intolerance (you can’t tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)
- Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
- Memory loss
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Decreased libido
List of symptoms from endocrineweb.com
The vast majority of hypothyroid cases are actually an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. The common treatment for hypothyroidism is just a prescription of thyroid hormone replacement with yearly checks of the patient’s TSH, or thyroid-stimulating hormone, to test if their dosage needs tweaking. This narrow approach does not take into account the other related issues associated with many autoimmune diseases, such as low vitamin D, blood sugar instability and sensitivity to gluten.
While chiropractors agree that patients with hypothyroidism need to take prescription thyroid, they also promote a broader approach to the management of hypothyroidism- especially if a patient’s symptoms persist even though their lab tests are normal. Since inflammation is at the root of autoimmune diseases, receiving regular chiropractic care ensures that your nervous system is operating properly. Hypothyroidism cannot be cured but with dietary and lifestyle changes, your quality of life can improve- and prevent another autoimmune disease from developing! If you’ve been diagnosed with a thyroid imbalance, see Dr. Jess at the Cafe of Life in Longmont for a holistic approach to managing your condition and restoring your optimal health!
Pain has a job to do in our bodies, which is to alert us that something is wrong so we can protect ourselves from further damage. While it is critical to our self-preservation, pain can also continue long past its usefulness and become a chronic condition. Since we receive messages of pain through our nervous system, chiropractic care can profoundly reduce incessant signals. The Cafe of Life in Longmont offers multiple treatments to stop chronic pain by chiropractor Dr. Jess Thompson, massage therapists Hannah Denckla & Pamela Cuming and acupuncturist Christa Caputa.
People’s experience of pain is not fully understood but the current theory claims there are three fundamental parts. When we experience pain we feel a strong emotional response, a sensory result when the brain receives electro-chemical signals, and a combined sensory-emotional effect when dealing with chronic pain. Chronic pain can be caused from unhealed injuries, long-term diseases and nervous system damage.
Chiropractic Care for Reducing Chronic Pain
- Spinal adjustments: The spine is the central pathway along which pain is communicated to the brain so by manipulating the spine, chiropractors can intercede these signals. Spinal adjustments help to eliminate the root cause of chronic pain as well by restoring optimal function to muscles, joints and the vascular system.
- Massage therapy: Trigger point therapy is one especially successful massage technique used to mediate pain. The therapist will target a tight band of muscle, called a trigger point, to initially replicate the patient’s pain and then reduce it.
- Acupuncture: This is another very effective alternative treatment for pain that is low risk and has no side effects like strong prescription opiates.
If you or a loved one is suffering from chronic pain, don’t suffer through another miserable day! Make an appointment today for chronic pain relief from chiropractor, Dr. Jess- she and the other professionals at the Cafe of Life in Longmont are confident that their effective treatments will manage, reduce and hopefully even eliminate your chronic pain!